The Infrequent Tales of a Dysfunctional Family

Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Deceptive Casserole

In order to tell this story properly, I have to do a little background. I am a morning person, but I work graveyard shift. What this means is that I go off to work very groggy, and gradually wake up while working. By the time I get home in the morning, I have the most energy I'll have for the day.
I also feel that it's dinner-time. After all, I've put in my 8+ hours at work, and I'm ready for some hearty food. Therefore I frequently make dinner in the morning, and my husband (Bill) and grandson (Tim) reheat it in the evening for their dinner.
Yesterday I decided to try a new recipe that my daughter had given me. I think it's called something like "Poppy-seed Chicken Casserole". With stunning foresight I had baked up chicken breasts the day before in order to have the most important ingredient. I had also gone to the store to get Ritz crackers and poppy seeds.
I tend to rate new foods in one of three categories. Either it is absolutely scrumptious and I definitely want to have it again (frequently). Or it is OK, nothing to write home about, but acceptable, and I might make it again. Or it's a complete dud and I regret that we don't have a dog to feed it to.
When this casserole came out of the oven yesterday, and I helped myself to a portion, my first thought was that it fell into the second category. I was reading a book while I ate, and it wasn't until I had drifted back to get thirds that I realized how much I was eating of this casserole. I had fourths and could barely restrain myself from having fifths.
Bill noticed me trotting back and forth between my book and the casserole, so he decided to have some for breakfast. He had the same reaction. I almost hesitate to admit this, but between the two of us, we ate almost half of a 9x13 pan of this casserole. I grant you, it isn't a very deep casserole, but still!
When I got up last night I discovered that Tim had enjoyed it as well - and he went back for fourths too! Despite my first opinion of it, this casserole is addicting! I think I've figured it out. It has poppy seeds in it. Opium is made from poppy seeds. Opium is very addicting. Do you think it might work if I sprinkled poppy seeds on vegetables and persuaded Tim to take at least one bite . . .

1 comment:

Maleen said...

That is so funny. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was telling Dad that I never know what kind of reaction I will get when I give you a recipe. I'm glad this was a hit. Curious--did you use the half cup of milk or the whole one? Keep the posts coming...I love it.