The Infrequent Tales of a Dysfunctional Family

Monday, November 19, 2007

Are you Thankful?

As Thanksgiving approachs (pretty rapidly for us as we're having our big turkey dinner tonight!), we are urged to think about what we have to be thankful for. This is understandable because we spend most of the year thinking about all the things that are NOT going right for us. Let's face it - they take up a lot of our time because we are (hopefully) trying to do something about them.

For example, I am constantly thinking and worrying about my weight. I weigh close to 300 pounds and have been battling the bulge all of my life (well - since I was 5). That takes up a considerable amount of time - so much so that I very rarely stop to think about the fact that I have very beautiful blue eyes (that's a quote from others!), natural curl to my hair, and fingernails that will grow as straight and long as I allow them (which isn't very long).

We do tend to take the good things for granted unless we are forcibly reminded of them. Perhaps we need to turn our eyes in a different direction. Instead of looking at the neighbor who has a bigger car, or a better job, or more nicely-behaved children, we should look at those who live in totally different circumstances. The African mother who is dying of AIDs and doesn't know what will happen to her children. The refugees in Dafur who consider clean water one of the seven wonders of the world. The ordinary, simple folk in Iraq who just want to have normal lives, but are caught up in a political struggle that most of them don't understand.

Yes, we have problems - and we can't just turn our back on them because other people have bigger problems. But we CAN spend more time being thankful for the many things that we are blessed with, and less time complaining. Actually, it doesn't hurt to take the Pollyanna view either - examine your burdens carefully and find the good side to them. I guarantee they are there if we look hard enough.

So - I will say that I am thankful I live in a free country and can worship the Lord the way I please. I am thankful that I am married to a wonderful man who loves me. I am thankful that my children all seem to like me (especially when I give them money!). I am thankful that I have a job, and that despite my weight I can still function and have basically decent health. I'm thankful for technology - the wonder of computers, pain killers, cars & DVDs. And I'm thankful for people who take the time to read my blogs!

1 comment:

Maleen said...

Been meaning to tell you that I enjoyed this post. I look at my weird family and think that maybe somewhere out there, someone else's family is weirder...maybe. Just kidding, I love my family and you know it. I hope you had a good Thanksgiving. I will think of you tomorrow when I am force feeding myself third helpings.