The Infrequent Tales of a Dysfunctional Family

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

California Trip - Reflections # 3



THE UP SIDE
(Why It Was All Really Worth It)
by Bill Dargan

1. Spending quality time with family

2. Lots of jokes and laughter

3. Short walk to the bathroom on the train

4. Trains and one hotel had power-flushers

5. Ample room for bags and selves on train

6. Miranda read "Sorcerer's Son" to me and Tim

7. Revised our schedule and saved a lot of driving time

8. Got to see many sights from the train window; Tim liked the ocean

9. Batman's bag came in handy lots!

10. Talked to lots of nice strangers

11. Good time walking with Miranda

12. Got to know Ginger much better

13. Megan and Tim had bonding time at beach

14. We had "song time" on the way to L.A.

15. 2 "angels" helped us when we were in need

16. Tim got some career ideas (marine biologist, teacher)

17. Great "Choose Your Own Adventure" stories invented

18. Tim's malaprops were a hoot

19. Nice visit with the Yaqubs

20. Miranda got some personal time on the wharf

21. The dream bathroom at the hotel in Santa Maria - 4 rooms in one!

22. Idea for Italian herbs on veggies from Pantry

23. Tim helped me get to my emails

24. Wonderful time together at Morro Bay

25. Morro Bay hotel - backed right up to door to unload bags

26..Megan got a new Nativity at the San Miguel Mission

27. Tim and I talked about Catholicism in the Mission chapel

28. Great time with Mary & Patsy; reliving some old times

29. Meg and Hal got to meet Maleen and Tyler

30. All had fun eating and shopping in Solvang

31. Tim spent lots of time with the girls, especially Robyn

32. Tim went to the beach with the Caziers

33. Megan told Miranda the "Parent Trap" story

34. Megan had personal time at the Anaheim pool and spa

35. Vicki helped us all immensely; we got to know her better

36. Disneyland gave us CREDIT on our passes

37. June, Robyn and Ives were introduced to Disneyland; they most loved the SCARY rides

38. Tim and I did our Dumbo and Autopia traditions

39. Caziers met up with Brenna

40. Tim and Vicki did the Teacups

41. The girls and I loved Tink and other fairies at Pixie Hollow

42. Everyone loved the Ariel's Grotto Princesses experience for the girls

43. Blue Bayou - special time for us 4!

44. Tim got special treatment and instructions at the Magic Shop

45. I joined the Caziers for Star Tours (thanks to Maleen)

46. Mickey's Parade - Dargans and Caziers unite for spectacle!

47. Miranda and I did some daddy/daughter shopping time.

48. Coco's - some of the best family laughs (and best dessert of trip)!

49. We got EVERYTHING in a tiny cab back to Amtrak

50. Came to many important conclusions about future; trip helped me focus on what I need to be doing!

Megan's Comments:

While some of these are legitimate 'up side' things, a lot of it just reads like a recap of our trip. However, I won't complain because at least it is positive. I'm not sure that revising our trip to save driving time was really an 'up side', because it meant we missed out on seeing my brother and his family, as well as my Uncle Jim and Tim Cole. In retrospect I wish we had gone (although that probably would have been another major 'down side'!)

Now that it's all over, I wish we were back at the beginning again. I can hardly wait for a repeat trip in 2015 - with all 5 of Maleen's daughters!

Of course, they'll be a little older by then . . .

1 comment:

Maleen said...

Sheesh, they are a little older right now. I can't believe how time flies. I still think about the trip often. That will go down as a favorite for all time.

I'm sad that you are done blogging about the trip, because you will most likely go back to less blogging period and I like to hear stuff about you. So, maybe you could post something once a week, for your poor excluded daughter.