The Infrequent Tales of a Dysfunctional Family

Sunday, July 17, 2011

California Trip - Day 10

June 29 - Wednesday "Welcome to Disneyland Cazier Girls"

Disneyland - Part 1 of 3

The promised shuttle #14 never arrived at 7:20 am. At about 8 am we took the #3. There was some worry whether Disney would honor the expired APR passes, but not only did they, they gave us credit (as CA residents) for current prices, and we got about $80 back.

We were all so exhausted from the last week, we were aching and flagging from the get-go. The times I had to push Megan's wheelchair, it was almost overwhelming (barely could get it up hills, and hard to keep it from getting away on slopes). There were many, many people and it was very hot (close to 100 degrees).

We got "1st time" and "Disney" buttons for the kids at City Hall. June said "We've got boobies". We first went to Fantasyland to do the children's rides: Mr. Toad, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Snow White & Alice in Wonderland. Ives was traumatized right at the start by Mr. Toad. We went on Dumbo (Tim and I rode together - our tradition). I told him I would stick the magic feather up his ------- to see if it would make him fly.


We went on the Casey Jr. Circus train. Because Megan was in the handicapped lane, we were able to get the back car. (I was with Ives; that kept the tradition alive.) Next we went on Storybook Canal Boats & Small World (in the latter they have integrated Disney characters - I saw Tink and Stitch).


We next went on Pirates. Everyone but me went on Splash Mountain (some got soaked - Megan the worst). Miranda's purse got wet and she had a meltdown. We sent her off with Vickie. The Caziers met up with Brenna at Downtown Disney.

While that was going on, Tim, Megan and I had lunch at the Hungry Bear. Megan ordered a gluten-free chili size, but the chili had gluten so we switched to a gluten-free cheeseburger. Tim said the chili was too spicy.

Megan, Tim and I went on the Haunted House, which has changed a little. Tim and Vickie went on the teacups, and it didn't seem to bother him. We did a 2nd Haunted Mansion with everyone. Vickie and Miranda rejoined us (Miranda bought a pirate hat) and we all went on the Jungle Cruise (Kaylie had probably the best monologue I ever hear - non-stop great one-liners).


While Megan and I went to the Tiki Room, the rest went off to Big Thunder Railroad roller coaster. We got back together. Maleen and tribe went back to the hotel for 3 hours to give the kids a break. Megan, Miranda, Tim and I did the Tiki Room (again for Megan and me). Then Vickie went shopping on Main Street and we 4 went over to California Adventure.

We did Soarin' (just as great as ever), then at dinner at a Mexican Place (pretty underwhelming). By that time it was only 30 minutes till the World of Color Show, for which we had fast pass reservations. The show was the pits (for me). I think Knotts Berry Farm did it better (lights with water patterns). The problem was the seating was poorly conceived - you couldn't see over people standing and people with kids on their shoulders.

I was having lots of PVC's by the time we left the park at 10:00 pm. We assumed Tim had come home with Maleen and Miranda. Maleen told us when we got back she hadn't seen him. We were shocked and thought he was lost - but it was a prank.

My comments:

Our hotel room was really two rooms - the main room with a bed, a couch (that folded out into another bed) and the bathroom, and then a separate bedroom. Since Miranda was really feeling the strain of being around us all the time, we gave her the separate bedroom. Bill and I got the bed, and Tim got the couch. But Tim didn't like the couch (I never did quite figure out why). So he ended up sleeping on the floor instead.


The front desk had been very helpful in giving us the times and number of the shuttle we needed to catch to Disneyland, but they had NOT told us that the all-day passes had to be purchased in advance at the little gift shop across the driveway or at the 24-hour Denny's down the street. That meant we had to pay both ways that first day. When the #3 shuttle finally picked us up (since the #14 never came), the driver got a bit weary of assuring everybody that YES he was going to Disneyland.

Bill kept such careful track of when and what we went on, that there isn't a lot more for me to add. However, I got feeling guiltier and guiltier as the day went on and I watched my poor family struggle to push me around in the wheel chair I had rented. I decided I was definitely going to get the motorized version for the next two days!

I had the very front seat on Splash Mountain. They've changed the logs we sit in - everybody has their own seat now rather than two people being squashed together. I have to admit that I barely fit - I was really jammed in and wasn't sure I could get out. Having the front seat gave me the dubious honor of being the first to see down the final water slide. Miranda said she knew we were in trouble when she heard me say "Oh my goodness". And I did get thoroughly drenched. I never did totally dry out for the rest of the day.

I really enjoyed the Tiki Room show. The dialogue hasn't changed a bit since the last time we were there. While watching the flowers singing, I noticed that one of the Birds of Paradise wasn't moving like the others. Guess it's time for a bit of repair! My favorite part is where the masks on the wall start chanting. I had forgotten how it suddenly looks like thunder, lightning and rain outside the windows.

The girls had been well coached and knew they needed to have a 'buddy' for every ride. Although they switched around a lot, Ivory seemed to have a preference for Miranda, and Robyn had a preference for Tim. It was such fun to watch their excited faces and to hear them enthuse over the rides. I thought that perhaps the roller coaster rides would be too scary for them, but they all loved them - even Ivory!

I have to agree with Bill that the World of Color was a big disappointment. We were sitting at the very back in the 'handicapped' section and couldn't see very well, but we were told later that you could see better there than most of the other places! Maybe if you got there several hours ahead of time to get a place right up front, you could see better, but then you'd get wet from the mist and water.

We all mutually agreed that we were NOT going to try to get up early to do the "Magic Morning" the next day. In fact, our four weren't even planning on being at Disneyland when it opened.

By the way, we had been getting periodic calls from Steve about our theoretical lunch at the very exclusive Club 33 at Disneyland. I had actually gotten on the hotel computer to look it up, and it does exist. Walt Disney himself wanted a place where he could entertain special guests, although it wasn't actually completed until after he died.

1 comment:

Maleen said...

I talked to a friend who was right up front for the World of Color and she thought it was amazing. Maybe it is one of those things that you have to be there. :)

I am not getting tired of hearing the whole thing over from your point of view. Yay DISNEYLAND!!