The Infrequent Tales of a Dysfunctional Family

Monday, July 18, 2011

California Trip - Day 11

June 30 - Thursday "Tink Day"

Disneyland - Part 2 of 3

No one could do the Early Bird. At Dizzy Megan and I went on Pirates and the Haunted Mansion with Miranda. Tim was off on the Autopia. I waited in line almost an hour to see Tink. I chatted with people in line (Maleen says I'm the friendliest person she knows). Everybody else joined me at the end to get pix of the girls with Tink and other fairies.


It was a real thrill for me. Tink wasn't beautiful - but cute.


She said she was the REAL Tink. Megan asked her "How many of you play the part of Tink?' and Tink replied, "I AM Tink". Megan said "How did you get so big?" Tink replied "You've shrunk down to my size - it happened when you came in here."

While most went on Indy Jones; Megan and I took Ives on Jungle Cruise again (the monologue was similar, but lots of new stuff).


We all went to California Adventure and took in the Aladdin musical show. The genie stole the show with lots of great one-liners (great Shwartzenegger jokes - couldn't believe he said them - like "California - weather great; taxes great; nannies great")


When we came out, seemed like everyone was getting lost from the group. Miranda gets comments on her Serenity shirt. Went to Tough Life for a Bug. Went to the new Ariel's Undersea Adventures - the best ride-thru at Dizzy! (A rude family cut in front of us to avoid waiting 30 minutes.)

Maleen took us all to lunch at Ariel's grotto. Very posh fare. Disney princesses visited and we got lots of pictures.

Ariel (prettiest)

Sleeping Beauty (next prettiest)

Snow White (most exotic)

Belle

Cinderella

Miranda was sad Jasmine didn't show up; they said she rarely does. The jellyfish lamps were neat!

The desserts were good but I didn't eat much - a little of each. Megan had a big white chocolate shell.

Duffy the Disney Bear seems to have usurped Bear in the Big Blue House. We went to Monsters Inc.. We went back to Dizzy and took the Railroad to the Primeval World and back to New Orleans, where Miranda and Tim went on Pirates and haunted Mansion again.

Megan and I went to Fantasyland where we bought the Tink doll and shopped for Daisy. We also planned Firday (more things than we can do in the time we have). We showed up at the Blue Bayou at 8:30 pm. We waited and waited . . . then decided everything was too expensive ($40/person) and I had wanted a Monte Cristo which isn't on the dinner menu. So we re-reserved for lunch tomorrow & left to eat at Denny's.

I ate too much fish. Called Steve - try to do club 33 tomorrow (of course, it turned out to be just another delusion).

My Comments:

This was my first day of renting the little power scooter, which I enjoyed very much. Poor Tim had sore feet (partly because his shoes were falling apart) and every time I left the scooter, I would find him on it when I came back. He couldn't drive it, though, because I took the key with me.

I waited in a different spot for the photo shoot with Tink because of my scooter. It was interesting to watch the different groups in line. Some of them went through very quickly, but others seemed to take forever. I was particularly taken with one little girl who had to stand at the head of the line for a very long time.


I think Tink was the only Disney character that I had my picture taken with as well as the rest of the family.

Lunch at Ariel's grotto was awesome - and it was such fun to see all the princesses. It is amazing how they can find girls to play these parts who actually look a lot like the animated versions. I know it cost Maleen and Tyler a LOT of money to do this, but it was really worth it.

When the families split up, we decided to go on Monsters Inc. It had a bit of a long line, but as we finally started off in our little car, we saw this group of people waving frantically at us. It was Maleen's crowd! So we waved back, much to the surprise of the ride attendant (I stole this picture from Maleen's blog).


Taking the Disneyland railroad with the scooter was quite a challenge. They have a special spot on the caboose for wheelchairs, so we sat at the very back of the train. I was disappointed that the last 'scene' in the Primeval World was curtained off - probably for repairs. I have always loved the T. Rex fighting the stegosaurus with the lava rolling down the hill in the background. Maybe next time . . .

Miranda had been in a bad mood, off and on, so I decided to make reservations for dinner at the Blue Bayou. While hanging around the Blue Bayou I located Club 33. It's just a normal-looking door with the number 33 next to it. At one point I saw a couple trying to convince the lady at the door to let them in, and later I actually saw a couple leaving - with leftover containers in their hands. I never did really believe that Steve was going to get us into it (and I was absolutely right!).

1 comment:

Maleen said...

That is funny that Tink insisted that she was the real Tink, because we all know better. Maybe that makes it more real for the kids. :)

Ariel's Grotto was so much fun, and worth the cost.

I'm sad I didn't get to go on the Jungle Cruise again, because I wanted to hear some extra jokes.