The Infrequent Tales of a Dysfunctional Family

Monday, March 17, 2008

Isn't it odd?

We have become so used to some of the oddities in our movies and TV shows that often we don't question the validity of what we see. Let me give some examples.

Take fist fights. When the script calls for a good old-fashioned rip-roaring fist fight, the protaganists slug away at each other for what seems like hours. No matter how brutal the blow, they stagger back to their feet, ready for more. On the other hand, when the hero is in a hurry, or quiet and stealth is needed, a single bash to the face, and the antagonist is down and out cold.

And markmanship. The villains are usually terrible shots, and the hero(s) run through a literal hailstorm of bullets without a single scratch. But when the hero turns around to return fire, every shot hits the mark and the villains fall like flies. Of course, that's why he/she IS a hero, but sometimes it seems a little far-fetched.

It was my father who pointed out that if you don't want anybody to see you, bend over as you run. After he mentioned this, I started watching for it, and sure enough, when people are running from tree to tree to avoid being seen, they bend over, as if this will somehow conceal them.

It was also my father who mentioned that he would hate to be young and handsome, because according to the commercials, those are the only people who have dandruff and bad breath, etc. And speaking of commercials, why does the voice of a celebrity carry so much weight? I mean, I can understand if a famous basketball player touts his new Reeboks - after all, he uses them. But why should his opinion on toothpaste, or car salesmen, etc. be of any more worth than the average man?

Back to oddities in story plots, have you ever noticed that even though the main characters might be in a terrible hurry, they can always find time to stop and talk or have a little romance. Now, is this really true to life? No matter how attractive I might find somebody, I can't imagine stopping for a little spot of smooching when the most deadly villain in the world is hot on my trail. Maybe I'm just not romantic enough.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed such anamolies. I would love to hear what YOU have noticed that seems a little odd.

1 comment:

Maleen said...

Hmmm, you should not get me started on movies. I am quite the critic. Tyler is always telling me to be quiet and accept that it is JUST a movie. Even some of my favorite movies are full of holes. I went back and watched Disney's Aladin and there are quite a few problems with the story line. Oh well.
The one that bugs me the most is when people don't explain. It seems that someone gets mad and all the other has to do is explain what really happened, but there is never enough time, or they just don't say anything. Who would sit there and take the blame? I would tell it like it was. But not in the movies... and if they DO explain, it never sounds right and the other person remains angry. Of course, that is bound to happen in real life too.