The Infrequent Tales of a Dysfunctional Family

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Counting the Syllables

Most of the time I don't think about how many syllables there are in my name. Most names are pronounced with the same number of syllables that they have - although there are exceptions. Cholmondely, for example, is pronounced "Chumley". Patricia officially has four syllables, but when pronounced "pa-trish-a" it just sounds like three.

So why am I bringing this up? Well, it all has to do with a strange coincidence. My daughter, Maleen, has three little girls. The first child is named June - a name with only one syllable. The second daughter is named Robyn - a name with two syllables. The third little girl is named Ivory - a name with three syllables. I'm sure she and her husband didn't have this in mind when they picked out these names.

They are now expecting their fourth daughter - and as far as I know they haven't picked out a name yet. In accordance with custom, they SHOULD pick a name with four syllables. I am therefore going to give a few suggestions as to what might be a good name:
Esmeralda
Euphemia
Isabella
Philomena
Hermione
Alexandra
Gabriella
Elizabeth
Victoria
Wilhemina
Ophelia
Lucretia
Persephone
Cinderella
Desdemona
Henrietta
Thomasina
Lavinia
Virginia
Marietta
Alicia
Carolina
Angelina
Cecelia
Josephina
Pollyanna
Letitia
Venetia
Frederica
Titania
Veronica

So how many other four-syllable names can YOU think of that they could pick from?

1 comment:

Maleen said...

Wow, that is quite a few. I can't say that I am enamored with any of them, but I'll run them by Tyler. We have some names in the works at the moment, but none of them have four syllables. And what would we do if we ever had a fifth girl. Are there any horrendously long names out there worthy of sticking to a child.
Oh, and here is a couple more four syllable ones: Chrysanthemum, and Nephertity