The Infrequent Tales of a Dysfunctional Family

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Oh No - It's snow!


OK - so it doesn't seem like much to those of you who live in areas where it snows on a regular basis, but for us it's quite a bit of snow. The real problem has been the cold - it just isn't melting even though the sun is shining. Apparently there is air from the Antarctic hanging over us. It's had a long way to come, but it certainly has made the weather interesting in California on its way.
It has also been very, very patchy. When I came home from work Wednesday morning, everything was pretty clear until I got a few miles from home, and then the snow hit. Last night Bill went to take Tim to mutual. The church is only a few miles from here, but as he drove the rain turned to sleet then turned to snow, and when he got to church it was so slippery he couldn't leave the car!
A snowstorm hit Seattle this morning at 5:00 am - with thunder and lightening! The guy on the radio explained that a storm cell was moving through Seattle. When I left work at 6:00 the road conditions were really bad. Everybody was crawling at about 20 miles an hour or less. Ten miles down the road, it suddenly cleared up, and I cruised all the way down to Tacoma. I didn't really hit snowy roads until Fircrest, and it wasn't that bad. Then twenty minutes after I got home, it snowed like crazy again - but only for about half an hour. This is really weird weather!
Even when the roads look like they're going to be OK, schools have been cancelled as they don't know what they'll be like in a couple of hours. Tim's Christmas vacation seems to have started early. They had a late start on Monday, normal hours on Tuesday, and have been closed ever since. Tomorrow was only supposed to be a half day, so it wouldn't surprise me if they just stay closed.
So far I've been lucky in my commute from Tacoma to Seattle and back, but I still have another three nights, and they are predicting another storm this weekend. Maybe it will hold off until Sunday morning AFTER I get home.

1 comment:

Maleen said...

Just be careful. People in WA don't drive well in snow; they aren't used to it.
Actually there are plenty of idiots in Utah too, but I haven't seen any accidents yet this year. I only braved the snow to mail off your and Tim's gift. You should feel special.
Remember to drive carefully.