The Infrequent Tales of a Dysfunctional Family

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Who do YOU believe?

Today, when I went upstairs to change for church, I heard a persistent beeping noise. In fact, I heard TWO beeping noises. I went to Tim's room first and found his alarm merrily trying to wake up somebody who wasn't there. It was pretty dark, so I had to turn on his head lamp in order to find the switch to turn his alarm off.

Then I went to our bedroom where our alarm was stubbornly trying to alert somebody (anybody!) that it was time to get up. I use this alarm a lot myself, so even in the dark I know how to turn IT off. I thought I would certainly get a kick out of teasing the 'men' in my life that they don't know enough to turn off the alarm.

Much to my amazement, instead of showing any kind of contrition, they both strenously insisted that they HAD turned their alarms off. Both of them had woken up early (so THEY say), and had virtuously turned off the alarm before they left their respective rooms. From this position they would not budge. They HAD turned off their alarms, and if they really had been on (were they doubting my word?) then somebody must have turned them on again.

As they had watched Ghostbusters together the night before you can imagine what kind of ideas they came up with. They didn't quite have the chutzpah to call me a liar, although they came pretty close.

I have to admit that I had a great deal of sympathy for Joseph Smith. After all, I HAD heard two alarms going off, and I HAD turned them off myself, and no amount of criticism could change that fact. So I ask again - who do YOU believe?

No comments: