The Infrequent Tales of a Dysfunctional Family

Sunday, January 6, 2008

I did it!

I work graveyard shift, Tuesday through Saturday. I come home Sunday morning pretty tired, and not really looking forward to going to church. In fact, last year there were many Sundays that I didn't go to church at all, a lot of Sundays where I only stayed for Sacrament meeting, and only a handful of Sundays where I stayed for all three meetings. Needless to say, my conscious has been pricking me about this.

I have really been worried about this year because our church time has changed from 9am - noon and is now 11 am - 2 pm. How on earth was I supposed to handle this? My first thought was when I got home about 6am I could go straight to bed and get a few hours sleep. Well, that idea went out the window last night because I had to work 3 1/2 hours of overtime and didn't get home until about 9am.

Hmm - well, my choices were:
A. Do not go to church, but go to bed. Get up in the late afternoon, have dinner and do Family Home Evening.
B. Go to church just for the Sacrament meeting. Come home and straight to bed, and get up in the early evening, have dinner and do Family Home Evening (although it would be awfully late for Tim who has school tomorrow).
C. Go to church for all three meetings. Come home and have Family Home Evening. Go to bed right after dinner.

I decided against A, but I wasn't sure whether B or C was going to win out - but I DID stay for all three meetings, and felt good about it. Not only that, but as soon as I got home I put together the lesson for Family Home Evening (my turn), and we will be starting in just a couple of minutes. I have to admit that I'm still not sure what we're going for dinner (leftovers?), but I am very proud of myself for actually starting off the new year on such a positive note.

You are allowed to cheer (in moderation), to which I will modestly bow!

1 comment:

Maleen said...

Oh, I am totally cheering. I was already wondering what you were going to do with this new schedule. I knew it was going to be hard on you, but I am proud of you for starting the year the right way. I was proud that I got all the girls hair done BEFORE we got to church. The new schedule really helps.