The Infrequent Tales of a Dysfunctional Family

Monday, May 5, 2008

This is harder than I thought!

I have discovered that going gluten-free isn't for wimps. AND, it really needs to be planned out ahead of time. I thought we had, but now that we have been on this new lifestyle for about 5 days, I find myself woefully unprepared.

Just about every day finds me over at Marlene's Health Food store looking for another gluten-free item. Bill is living on almond-butter sandwiches (on non-gluten bread of course), and we are all getting sick of the chicken stew that I made up on day one. Obviously I made a LOT of it, because it is still going strong.

I finally got the cookbook in the mail that I had been waiting for, so today I thought I would actually try out one of the recipes. I needed to make up the various 'mixes' that are used in the recipes, so I went down to Marlene's (AGAIN!) and bought tapioca flour, white rice flour, potato flour, potato starch, soup bases, etc. I also went to Wal-Mart to get some canisters to put these mixes in.

Guess I should have done my homework a little better. I only picked up 4 cups of white rice flour, and it is needed (in large quantities) in just about every mixture. So I made up a small batch of the 'featherlight mix', and the 'gluten-free mix', and ran out of rice flour before I could make up the soup base mix - which I needed for the recipe I was going to make today. Blat! Fortunately I hadn't started boiling the gluten-free noodles yet. (Can you believe it? - this recipe book suggest you make your own noodles! Wow!)

Tomorrow I have to spend my morning taking my older daughter to a doctor's appointment in Seattle, but I imagine once I get her back home again, I will be heading over to Marlene's to get MORE rice flour.

I ought to mention that you have to be a bit careful when dumping these flours together as they puff up quite a bit. In fact, part of my kitchen look like a powdered donut. I really should clean it all up and do the dishes, but I worked last night, and it's getting late, and I'm working tonight . . . so I think I'll just let the boys wonder what happened when they get home and see the snowfall! Hope Bill enjoys his almond-butter sandwich tonight.

1 comment:

Maleen said...

I'm sorry it isn't as easy as you'd like. Most new diets aren't, although it seems you are trying really hard, and kudos for that. If I happen to find any recipes of mine that don't have gluten, I'll let you know. It seems what I am making tonight wouldn't have any because it is ham, and potatoes with some cheese added in. Can't you eat all that?
Anyway, and I know it doesn't help that you are working ten days in a row just so you can see me. You are probably the most unselfish person I know. I am really excited for our trip though. I am counting the days.
Good luck with the puffy rice flour.