The Infrequent Tales of a Dysfunctional Family

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mayday! Mayday!

Well, tomorrow is the big day that we are supposed to go gluten-free. I am debating on whether I should start right at midnight, or wait until I get home in the morning. Probably the latter. However it goes, it will NOT be smooth sailing.

Bill is very sick at present, although he can't figure out what's causing it (although he highly suspects it is because he has had to cut back on all of the pills he takes - due to financial considerations). Therefore it is going to be harder than ever for him to eat differently. It's always difficult to do something different than your usual routine when you don't feel well.

As for me, I am a bit worried about next week, as I will be flying down to San Diego for a couple of days. It's not that you can't eat gluten-free when you're traveling, but I'm not sure I'll have the whole thing down yet. I may end up subsisting on fruit and nuts. Well, there are worse things to eat.

We are strongly tempted to go gluten-free the 'wrong' way instead of the 'right' way. (This is the point where you ask us what the difference is). Well, the right way to go gluten free is to stop eating anything that 'man' produces. In other words, meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts. The wrong way to go gluten free is to tank up on rice, corn, potatoes and all of the yummy high-priced high-caloric gluten-free foods that are available at the health-food store.

I have also noticed, when consulting my 'gluten-free' grocery store shopping guide, that many candy bars are gluten-free. Hmm - I have a feeling that they fall into the 'wrong' category as well. Actually, I'm supposed to be going dairy-free as well, but I'm not sure I can handle two major deletions at the same time. It's hard enough to give up all the baked goods, but to give up cheese as well?

Well - the one thing that I know I have to do (and soon) is get a list of ingredients for See's candy! After all, a lot of them have fruit and nuts in them . . .

1 comment:

Maleen said...

Shall I bring some See's on our trip? After all, I could probably use some more fruit and nuts in my diet as well :)